Saturday 12 December 2020

Review of The Selection (Book #1) by Keira Kass

 


For thirty- five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. It is the opportunity to escape the constricts of the class that they have been born into and the life which has been written for them since the day since they were born. This is their chance to be swept up into the world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels and to live in the palace and compete to win the heart of the Prince Maxon and become the next royal princess.

However for America Singer, being selected is the nightmare that she has been dreading. he will have to turn her back on her secret love with Aspen, who has been born into a caste below her and their love would be frowned upon. She has to face the fact that she will have to leave her home to enter a fierce competition for the crown and prize that she has no interest in winning. Living in the palace feels like a jail cell to her and she is living in a place which is under constant threat of being attacked by the violent rebel forces from both the north and south.

However, things start to change when America meets the dashing Prince Maxon and gradually she starts to question all of the plans which she had made for herself. She soon realizes that the life that she has always dreamed of for herself may not compare to the future that she started to imagine for herself.

This is the novel which is the result of the marriage between The Hunger Games and The Bachelor and have a family. I found this book a different type of book than I normally read, however I found myself engaged in the story from page one. This was one of the few books which I have read in one sitting and this was due to it having a pace which constantly had you guessing what was going to happen next. I can not wait to read the next books in the series to see what life has in store for America and Maxon. I found this utterly surprising as this is not the genre that I would normally pick up but found myself pleasantly surprised and fell in love with the whole cast of characters. I found that this was exactly the book I was looking for when Burial Rites left me with a book hangover. I would highly recommend this to everyone who is wanting to find an engaging story to use as a palette cleanser after a differcult read.

For your copy, click the following link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Selection