Sunday 13 September 2020

Review of Intensity by Dean Koontz



Past midnight, Chyna Shepard, 26 years old, she gazes out of a moonlit window when she is unable to sleep on her first night in the Napa Valley - the home of her best friend’s family. Instinct proves to be valuable for her survival. The murderous sociopath Egler Foreman Vess, has forcefully entered the house, intent on killing all of the occupants inside. Being a self-proclaimed “homicidal adventurer” Vess lives only to satisfy all of his appetites as they arise, to immerse himself into the sensation, to live without fear, remorse or limits, to live with “Intensity”. Chyna is trapped in his deadly orbit with no way to escape.


Chyna is a survivor, who is toughened by a long life of struggle for safety and self-respect. Now she will be tested as never before. To beggining with her sole aim is focused on getting out of the situation alive - until by chance, she learns the identity of Vess’s next intended victim, a faraway innocent who only she is able to find and save. Driven by the newly discovered thirst for meaning beyond mere self-preservation, Chyna musters every piece of inner strength and resource that she has to save the endangered girl. All the while, minute by minute, the terrifying threat of Egler Foreman Vess is building and the danger is intensifying.


Well, what can i say, this book had me terrified from page one. I felt like I was with Chyna every step of the way and taking every dangerous term that she takes. From hiding under the bed in the guest room, hiding in Vess’s Mobile home and then the tentative steps in his house. Vess has some many qualities of an evil from my past and actually had me relive my own experience and this made me enjoy it even more. Yes, I know this is not my normal choice of genre, however I did actually enjoy the thrill of the chase and watching how Chyna outsmarts her opponent during this battle. During the first couple of chapters I sat down and got myself into the story and then BANG the story hit me smack in the face. I have to say that this book is one of the best horror titles that i have read and I don’t think I will be dabbling into this genre very often.


For your copy please follow this link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dean-Koontz-Intensity